- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, divided
- 1 pound pasteurized crabmeat, drained if necessary
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 425nF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, corn and 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Let cool for 5 minutes. Add crab, egg white, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, mayonnaise and lemon zest. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions (about 1/2 cup each). Form each portion into an oblong patty that’s about 4 inches by 2 inches. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Combine the remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning and 2 teaspoons oil in a small bowl. Sprinkle 1 heaping teaspoon of the breadcrumb mixture over the top of each croquette, then gently press it on.
- Bake the croquettes until heated through and golden brown on top, about 20 minutes.
Per serving: 260 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 132 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 2 g fiber; 942 mg sodium; 148 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (35% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1/2 fat