- 3/4 c. breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, wiped clean
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse-grained mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place bread in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl. Pulse mushrooms in the food processor until finely chopped.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and the mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add to the breadcrumbs and let cool completely, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Scallion-Lemon Mayonnaise, if using.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Add ground turkey, egg, dill, mustard, salt and pepper to the mushroom mixture; mix well with a potato masher. With dampened hands, form the mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties, using about 1/2 cup for each.
- Oil the grill rack. Brush the patties with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Grill until no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes per side. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register 165°F.) Meanwhile, split buns and toast on the grill for 30 to 60 seconds, if using. Serve burgers on buns, garnished with lettuce, tomato and Scallion-Lemon Mayonnaise, if desired.
TIPS & NOTES
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5. Wrap individually and refrigerate for up to 8 hours or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking.
- Ingredient Note: Lean ground turkey breast has 110 calories and 1 gram fat per 3-ounce serving, compared to 193 calories and 11 grams fat in regular ground turkey (which may include leg meat and skin).
Per serving (without buns or garnishes): 193 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 95 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 418 mg sodium; 383 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 383 mg potassium (19% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat